Sunday, March 17, 2013

An artificial boost to self-worth


It’s amazing how special a gesture of appreciation can make you feel. It’s equally saddening too. Yesterday, I learnt that my team’s project proposal was demonstrated as the best example to our following batch. And the excellence of the presentation was being accredited to the fact that we had a consultant in the team. Something inside me exclaimed when the entire glory was bestowed on my teammate, who did his internship at BCG and who, in reality, mostly contributed to the research. The presentation was my responsibility, my contribution. I defended myself. And immediately felt foolish for doing so. Still, I secretly longed for more appreciation from those around me - an appreciation that, I knew, would not have any significance - for anyone. 
Why do our instincts spontaneously respond to our need for external recognition?
When will I relinquish the need for external approval?
When will I internalize the fact that I am inferior to none, superior to none?

No comments:

Post a Comment