Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Goodbye idealism

I remember rejoicing to the victory of this nobody, against an incumbent politician in New Delhi. I remember getting teary-eyed when he acknowledged, "Main bahut chhota aadmi hun, meri aukat hi kya hai". I was a proud and hopeful part of this anti-corruption movement. I appreciated Kejriwal's "genuine" words and "selfless" efforts. And I don't regret any of it. But the person who was deeply touched by it all was a different me. The stance and actions of AAP have been partly responsible for changing certain aspects of me fundamentally.

  • I'd always identified myself as a dreamer. Like pursuing perfection is a rare, distinguishing skill, worth celebrating. Perhaps it is. But I now realize that it a hollow one too. A dream is meaningless and pointless if it is not supported by the appreciation of current truth and a deliberate alignment of all your actions. 
  • I've also often taken pride in my ability to ask fundamental questions on the status quo. Though I now realize that practicality lies not in those existential questions but in taking steps towards constant improvisation. 
  • I remember being this girl who stood by the "right thing"; who judged people and situations through the lens of her own bias; who rejoiced at the concept of "Satyamev jayate". I was a person who believed in true love, in utopia, in a life of purpose. All that has shattered in the light of current circumstances. 
Kejriwal and co - I would still like to believe that whatever you are doing is because you care. And I hope you'd find your way soon. It's strange that a certain language that gave me goosebumps before sounds massively melodramatic today. Words that inspired me earlier make me laugh out aloud now. Thanks for bringing this significant change. In me.

3 comments:

  1. That is exactly the whole tragedy!

    No one could have judged the Tendulkars or Schumachers by their one outing. Even they dint know they are gonna make such marks in history. But look what they did?
    They had all the skills in the world, but what mattered even more was their experience, their persistence, their resistance which only time could have taught them.

    We have all listened to stories of great people who were not able to make a mark in their fields when they entered initially but wait,
    Did the world reject them? Yes.
    Were they able to change the momentum? Yes, by time - again!

    The crunch of the matter is - if you were so much of a believer of the new wave, that ideology, that for-long-improbable-looking shift in the political paradigm - then it is so unfair to call off your dream so quickly.
    Don't bring that change right away - persist with it for a while. For yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the best thing they have done for the country is that they have got all of us talking about the country, elections, political parties, candidates and their criminal backgrounds et al. Things people in this country had a chalta hai towards. For the first time people are just not accepting things as they are, but fighting to make a difference. I just hope that if they come to power (although it seems highly improbable) , they would bring some stability and be able to hold down the government for the next 5 years

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys - I am not sure if you got my point. I am not against dreaming for a change. A lot of good has come out of the movement, and I am hopeful more will. And my objection is not necessarily to their decisions or to their performance but their attitude. "What I say is right." "It is okay if I swear on my kids and then back track." "When I am the decision-maker, the means don't matter." "Any attack on me is attributable to some master mind." "All xxx are paid agents of xxx". My difference is in this judgmental attitude towards anything you disagree with or are uncomfortable with . My objection is with lack of tolerance or portrayal of yourself as a messiah for change, without any evidence - be it Modi or Kejriwal. The change in me is that I believe in objectivity now. Accepting facts without being judgmental or defensive. Saying - Yes, I am glad to have loads of youth and well-meaning people interested in politics. Yes, I would like to know where is Modi getting all that money. No, I do not accept AAP to waive off electricity charges for their supporters. No, I don't need any of the drama!! I hope that clarifies my position. :)

    ReplyDelete